SMAANZ 2023 - Explore Canberra
As we approach #SMAANZ2023, our Conference Committee has put together a guide to help with your travels to Canberra!
- Airport: You can fly into Canberra Airport domestically or internationally. The airport is only a short 7km from the city centre of which buses, taxi’s, or shuttle services can take you to.
- Drive and Busses: Canberra is a 3 hour drive south of Sydney and the Murrays and Greyhound busses runs from both Sydney City, Domestic, and International Airport to Canberra Jolimont centre (City Centre). Busses also run from Melbourne – approximately 7 hours.
Getting around Canberra:
Canberra is very compact making it easy to either walk, bike, scoot, or bus around the city. If you are taking the public bus or Light Rail you will need to purchase a MyWay card when you arrive in Canberra.
For those who like a bit of adventure
- Jump on a bike – Canberra is a great city to cycle around with many cycle paths throughout the city. There are many bike hire options and cycle around Lake Burley Griffin
- A little further out from the centre of town you will find some of Australia’s best wineries including Shaw Wines, Murrumbateman Winery, Clonakilla, Mount Majura Vineyard, Brindabella Hills Winery, Lake George Winery, and Four Winds Vineyard
- National Arboretum – is about 10 minutes from the city centre and has 250 hectares of rare, endangered trees from all around the world.
- UC Stromlo Forrest Park is a world renown mountain bike and trail running centre. Bring your bike and your running shoes!
Galleries and Museums
Canberra is renown for its galleries and museums. It houses some of the most interesting exhibits from time to time. There is a Red Explorer Loop Bus which stops at many of the museums and galleries along with other attractions. All of the below are free to enter!
- National Gallery of Australia – fine arts museum which houses over 150,000 works of art including works by Jackson Pollock and Sidney Nolan.
- National Portrait Gallery – The Gallery houses some of the portraits of individuals who have shaped Australia as a Nation
- Australian War Memorial – Commemorates the Australian men and women who sacrificed their lives serving the nation and those who continue to serve today
- National Museum of Australia – A place to learn about Australia’s past, present and future.
- Parliament House – You can book a private tour or watch the House of Representatives and Senate.
- Questacon – National Science and Technology centre, for those young at heart and who have a love of the weird, wonderful and wacky world of science and technology this is a must to visit. Fun, educational and hands on experience
- National Library of Australia
Australian Institute of Sport
While in Canberra, why not check out the AIS? You can do a tour of the facility and meet an elite athlete at the same time.
Canberra is home to many amazing golf courses. Your conference chair, Stirling, is more than happy to recommend a course that you will enjoy depending on your strengths and budget!
Food and Drink
- Whatever cuisine takes your fancy, Canberra delivers. From fine dining to casual eating Canberra has much to offer.
- You can find an amazing array of restaurants, bars and cheap eats in the following links
Our SMAANZ Organising Committee will be making ‘Top 10’ restaurant and bars lists closer to the conference – stay tuned for the local knowledge on where to go!